Not Many Wise -

Faith and spirituality in a modern world

COOKIES: This website uses cookies to improve your experience of this website. No personal info is collected. See more info.

[21] John (Jack) Wales: War years 1941 – June 1943

Even at this early age, he and all his mates, wanted to get into the action.
So at 16 (1941) he joined the local Earith Home Guard, which at that time had about 40 members, with a great mix of First World War veterans and keen local lads.

Earith, Colne and Bluntisham Homeguard formal photo.
Earith, Colne and Bluntisham Homeguard formal photo.

Within a year he was a corporal, and his intense training, proved to be invaluable later on as a regular.

He was also a member of the local Commando unit, set up to counteract any airborne invasion, but when he was the regulation 17 and a quarter, he only wanted to join his heroes – The Black Watch, because they were the toughest!
However, because he was a farm worker, he was rejected because it was a reserved occupation.

So he left farming, to become a coalman in a desperate bid to get into the army.
Jack eventually had to appear in front of 12 people of the War Agriculture Committee in Huntingdon, before he got his wish and signed up for 7 & 5, (7 years regular, 5 years reserve).
He was straight up to Glasgow, and into the Maryhill Barracks, for his preliminary training with the Black Watch, it was now 1943.

Many people still can’t understand why an Englishman with the name of Wales, would want to join a Scottish Regiment!

(Extract from ‘One Man’s Story: John Wales’ by Dave Brown)

John (Jack) Wales

September 2014

Explore these related themes Tags: ,

Related Posts[2] WW2 dogfight – Before the Safari days A damaged Dornier 17 with a lone parachutist

A quick scan and I became pack leader on spotting them: twenty plus Dornier 17’s, heading for Bristol. This was a WW2 dogfight unfolding before my eyes.
Beautiful blue undersides paled into the matching autumn sky, but black crosses stared from the wings.
Crackle of gunfire revealed just three Hurricanes weaving around…

[6] Christine Reason: real life story 1939 to 1940 1940 Arch and Rene Ellis with Christine.

In my real life story, after the September 1939 wedding, we did not return to Woodford, supposedly because of the threat of the German Luftwaffe bombing London, and I was sent down to Rye in Sussex to live with my Aunt Rene and Uncle Arch by myself.
They were childless at this time…

[7] Christine Reason: real life story 1940 to 1941 1941 Naphill Bucks 5 children from the Whitehead family side.

Continuing my real life story 1940, during the Spring of that year, because of the air battles over the Channel and the threat of invasion by the Germans, as France had fallen to the enemy quite quickly, it was thought expedient to send me back to my grandparents in Bucks…

[8] Christine Reason: real life story 1941 to 1942 1941 Grandma Haydon with baby Andrew Brown.

Continuing my real life story 1941 I went in for the Scholarship exam, but failed it, so I sat for an Entrance exam to attend the High School for girls at High Wycombe, and passed, so I was able to go there, paying a fee of £5.00 per term…

[9] Christine Reason: real life story 1943 to 1944 1944 Guide Camp showing 6 guides including Christine & Beryl.

During my real life story 1943 and 1944 American Forces were stationed nearby, and we often used to get several of them attend Sunday services.
Occasionally, my Grandparents invited them home to Sunday lunch.
They were charming men and often very homesick for their loved ones back in the States…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *