Adolf Hitler’s warning from God was real.
Do you believe that God can step into our world and give a clear warning to someone?
Read on to discover how God’s warning to Hitler happed:
Table of Contents menu
Table of Contents:
1. Would, or could, God warn Adolf Hitler?
What is God like? He doesn’t control people, he gives people time to turn from evil ways and he does step in and warn people, even dictators.
It would appear that Adolf Hitler’s warning from God not to start a war was plain and obvious.
Can you believe that God did draw a line in the sand but Hitler made a conscious decision to proceed with his plans?
This is not fiction or myth, but it is the truth and comes from a (non-Christian) documentary “The Nazis: A Warning From History – Hitler’s Path To War” 1
The programme factually showed personal situations and world events leading up to the second world war and it made no inference to God’s involvement.
2. How Adolf Hitler’s warning from God happened:
In the late summer, of 1939, Adolf Hitler withdrew to the Berghof in the Obersalzberg – in the Bavarian Alps near Berchtesgaden, Bavaria, Germany.
He was trying to weigh up all the possible outcomes if he gave the order to attack Poland – how would Britain, France and Russia react?
He and his group of friends were on the large open-air terrace when a menacing cloud formation began to approach them.
Tension within the group began to escalate and they became fearful.
When the unnatural cloud was at its closest, a Hungarian lady within the group suddenly proclaimed:
Adolf, this augers a warning. There will be blood. Blood, blood, blood and more blood. There will be terrible destruction and suffering!”‘The Nazis: A Warning from History’ a 1997 BBC documentary
Adolf Hitler looked shocked and said:
“If that’s the way it’s got to be, then so be it.”‘The Nazis: A Warning from History’ a 1997 BBC documentary
Then he left rapidly to his room very shaken up.
3. Did God warn Adolf Hitler?
My thoughts are:
- If it was just a storm, why did the group become fearful? They could easily have walked inside to get away from it.
Was it because it was unnatural, even supernatural, to get their attention?
- When the lady made her proclamation, in a normal situation the group would probably have laughed at such an outburst.
Was it because the group knew it wasn’t her speaking her thoughts?
Perhaps the group knew that it was Adolf Hitler’s warning from God?
- Why was Hitler so shaken by it? If he thought it was just the woman speaking he would have brushed it aside.
Did he believe that a Superior Being was speaking at that point and personally challenging him?
It was as if a line was being drawn and Hitler seemed to know that if he crossed that line, then there would be a huge loss of life.
- Why didn’t Hitler just laugh it off – why did he have to withdraw to his room?
Did he feel personally challenged?
If he felt challenged by any human being he would have flattened them under his foot, but did he feel that God was confronting him?
Soon after this event, Hitler gave the order to attack and on the 1st September 1939 Germany invaded Poland and the bloodshed started.
Are you surprised about Adolf Hitler’s warning?
4. Mahatma Gandhi’s attempt to warn Adolf Hitler
In July 1939, Mahatma Gandhi sent a letter to Adolf Hitler appealing to him to not start a war.
The envelope was addressed to: ‘HERR HITLER, BERLIN, GERMANY.’
As AT WARDHA,Mahatma Gandhi’s letter to Adolf Hitler. 2
July 23, 1939
Friends have been urging me to write to you for the sake of humanity.
But I have resisted their request, because of the feeling that any letter from me would be an impertinence.
Something tells me that I must not calculate and that I must make my appeal for whatever it may be worth.
It is quite clear that you are today the one person in the world who can prevent a war which may reduce humanity to the savage state.
Must you pay that price for an object however worthy it may appear to you to be?
Will you listen to the appeal of one who has deliberately shunned the method of war not without considerable success?
Anyway I anticipate your forgiveness, if I have erred in writing to you.
Your sincere friend,
But the British Colonial government did not allow the letter to be sent.
Gandhi tried again in 1940, with a more detailed letter, but again this letter was stopped. 3
5. Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Does God warn world leaders?
1) God sent Jonah to speak to the world’s superpower at that time to warn them of their wicked ways and tell them to turn away from them. God said to Jonah: “‘Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me.” (Jonah 1:2 NIV)
2) Many of the evil kings of Israel were warned by good prophets to stop their wicked ways.
3) When Adolf Hitler was deciding to invade Poland in 1939 God warned him that if he carried on there would be a huge loss of life.
Does God allow cruel national leaders to continue?
1) God gives time for anyone to repent from their evil ways and it is the same for world leaders.
2) If a leader refuses to do good then God will cut their reign short.
3) Examples from the Bible show that evil kings do get their comeuppance, not immediately, some lasted months, others years. The average reign of good kings was 34 years, and the average reign of the wicked was 18 years.
Every good king in the Bible reigned for more than 20 years but only one evil king did.
4) Examples from more recent history also show this pattern.
Hitler boasted that The Third Reich would reign for one thousand years but as terrible as it was his evil reign only lasted about 7 years. Napoleon’s rule lasted less than 10 years. Stalin’s rule was about 23 years.
These reigns do seem long for the people who are suffering, but in the context of history, they are around for a short time.
What can you do about a bad leader?
1) Bear in mind that we should all “…be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established.” (Romans 13:1 NIV) The reason is that it should be their job to keep justice and peace.
2) The problem is when leaders become corrupt and no longer protect the innocent.
Then we do have a duty to point out the leader’s errors – think of the prophets in the Old Testament speaking out against the evil kings of Israel.
3) The apostle Paul tells us to pray: “I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people – for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.” (1 Timothy 2:1 NIV)
More detailed articles covering:
Is God a faraway power that is not interested in humanity, or is he a God that can be known?
What is the way to heaven, will being ‘good’ get me there, do I have to attend church? Is there a ticket to heaven?
What does it mean to be a Christian?
Here’s a modern parable about a son’s relationship with his father who happens to be the king – read about God’s characteristics.
References – open in new tabs:
Programme shown on the Yesterday channel on Thursday 12th February 2015 between 11pm and midnight: ‘The Nazis: A Warning from History’ Wikipedia ↩
From THE POWER OF NONVIOLENT RESISTANCE by M.K. Gandhi, edited with an introduction by Tridip Suhrud, published by Penguin Books, an imprint of Penguin Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House LLC. Introduction and selection copyright © 2019 by Tridip Suhrud. ↩
‘You Are Today the One Person in the World Who Can Prevent a War.’ Read Gandhi’s Letters to Hitler. By Tridip Suhrud. Sept 25, 2019 Time. ↩