Table of Contents:
The most important point is that a local church is much more than just a building. The children need to understand that the local church they are visiting is part of the Church worldwide – it is a community of Christians from all races and nationalities.
To see where the local churches are, go to Find a Church (which opens in a new tab). Most churches would be thrilled to show a school year group around their church.
Lesson plans and resources for the: Visit to a local Church KS1
Prior to the church visit:
It is a good idea to work through this short PowerPoint with the children on: What is the Church? – RE lesson plan a PowerPoint slideshow (Opens in a new tab on www.slideshare.net)
NEW July 2021. Places of worship, a PowerPoint presentation viewable and downloadable for teachers to show the children. (Opens in a new tab on www.slideshare.net)
On the day of the visit
Children could ask these questions when KS1 visit a local Church (Opens in a new tab.) – RE lesson plan.
Teachers cheat question sheet to take on the visit to a local church (Opens in a new tab.)
How to fulfil the locally agreed syllabus on visiting a church KS1
Hopefully you will be able to match your local agreed syllabus with what is here which satisfies eight councils:
These lesson plans are based on the Progression Documents of The Agreed Syllabus for Religious Education’ Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire, Peterborough, Rutland County Councils. This is in the light blue text.
The green text is from other Councils: Lewisham Borough, West Sussex, Hull and East Riding.
Here are the main aims for the visit:
- Visit local churches (more than once) become familiar with the main features of the building.
- Find out what happens there and why (worship, baptisms, weddings) and what children do (choir, Sunday school, holiday clubs etc.)
- Explore stories connected with the church (e.g. its dedication, stained glass window showing Bible stories).
- Meet the people who go to the church and who lead church services (especially the vicar or minister) and find out what they do.
- Describe and explain practices.
- Tell of the ways people express identity in belonging to a faith group.
- How and why do people of faith worship?
- Describe how the building and its artefacts are used in different ways.
Key vocabulary: Church, Worship, Baptism, Hymn, Prayer, Priest, Vicar.